Thursday, March 27, 2008

#13 del.icio.us and social bookmarking

I don't recall when I signed up for del.icio.us but I'm so glad that I did! Like many people, my bookmarks easily become unwieldy because it seems there's always some new site I want to be able to find my way back to again. I attended a training a few years ago where I learned that I could make folders for my bookmarks and about the bookmarks toolbars and that knowledge changed my browsing life at that time. I didn't think it could get much better until I began using del.icio.us! One thing I learned from reading today was that I probably should be putting notes in with my links because I appreciated using others notes on sites they've bookmarked.

One site that I've found is really useful for all things web2.0 is Educause: they do brief one or two page "Seven things you should know about (fill in the blank)" which is a great way to learn about new tools--their brief on social bookmarking was done in 2005.

One of the things I'm happiest about with del.icio.us is that I was actually able to install the Firefox extension at work--so many things are blocked here including much local control over the desktop, but I was able to install without a network admin password, which is nice because it's nearly impossible to get someone to agree to do that kind of override.

Recently, my husband and I have been talking about moving closer to where we work. Along with that has come searching for homes and for floorplans on the off-chance that we decide that we can afford to build. While visiting my mom over the holiday I was able to log in to my del.icio.us bookmarks and show her our favorite with no problems locating the site or the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment